Monday, December 29, 2008

Resolution before the New Year

Well, I've been meaning to start a blog for a while now so I've finally decided tonight is the night. I just got home and showered after a 90 minute Bikrim Yoga class in Westlake. While I was at work today, my friend Katie and I were chatting on gtalk about how we needed to find a "hot yoga" class...that is cheap (BTW, "hot yoga"...or any kind of yoga for that matter...and "cheap" do not play well together). About 10 minutes later I was over talking with Shannon, one of my co-workers, and she randomly mentioned that she does "hot yoga." Coincidence?? I think not! I looked up the place where she goes, and called to see what kind of deals they might have. Well of course, they say "oh, just come in for a couple of classes and then we'll decide what is best." (Easy way to get you hooked so you'll spend your money on it regardless of how outrageously expensive it actually is...and if you know me, you know I tend to fall for these tactics pretty easily!) I tell Shannon this, and lo and behold, her, her fiancee Joel, and her sister were all going tonight at 7. After hearing how hot it is (105 degrees) and the humidity (50-60%), I was freaking out! (And Shannon really thought I wasn't going to go.)

So, about 6:10 tonight, I made my way out to Westlake for the 7:00 class. Everyone showed up, and we walked into the room to set our mats up...Oh My Gosh! Just walking into the room was smothering! How was I going to do an hour and a half of yoga in that heat?!?! Well, I did...somehow! The instructor was great, very encouraging and it's ok to take breaks when you feel like your head is about to spin away, which mine did a few times! :) Not only was it insanely hot in there, this was the most difficult yoga I have ever done. (Oh, but you can't drink whater just whenever...I learned my lesson when the instructor told me "no water right now...not in this pose!" My bad! Every other class I have done has been somewhat relaxing...not this one...I guarantee tomorrow my whole body will be incredibly sore! I honestly can't remember the last time I was drenched in that much sweat...Strutters in college maybe?

It's definitely not a cheap "hobby" but I figure that out of everything I waste money on, at least this will be good for me. I can go this month as many times as I like...then we'll see how much of a commitment I've actually made and if I should invest a chunk of money into it.... I do have to say, that yes, even though it is my first night (and I'm always very enthusiastic after the first night of anything), I really think this is something I can make a habit. It helps having a group of people that go 2 or 3 times a week (at a minimum) to go with you, too! I'm really excited, so this is my New Year's Resolution before New Year's! Back again for more heat torture at 8:15 tomorrow night with Shannon's sister and her husband. :) Below is the link to where I went...if you're in Austin, you should give it a try!

http://www.bikramyogadavenport.com/

On another note, I have 6 of the cutest puppies EVER!!! At first, I THOUGHT I had 4 girls and 2 boys (and named them after Sex and The City)...after closer inspection, I discovered that Charlotte is now....Steve! Oops! Either way, Charlotte or Steve, I still love him...and all of them for that matter! :) They used to be such perfect models for photos...now they have figured out that it is a lot of fun to play with each other and bite and roll over, so it's becoming increasingly difficult to get cute pictures! I'll put some up, though :) Tegan has been such a good mommy, I couldn't be more proud of her!

Well, I'm off to get more water and get to bed...needless to say, I'm exhausted after having not worked out that hard in...well, honestly, I don't know how long :)

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe New Year's Eve!! I'll be heading out to the middle of nowhere to Mary and Lyle's to meet up with Ryan and the four of us will have our now traditional "firework holiday" evening in New Ulm! Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment